Thursday, December 17, 2009

Multimedia Lesson Plan#2 Reflection

Thinking of an interesting idea for the students to create a multimedia presentation using Microsoft Power point was the most difficult part of this assignment. At first, I was at a loss on how to accomplish this assignment. But after taking this course I learned that if I make the experience fun when introducing the assignment, then the students will want to participate and explore the assignment. Before I began the Family Tree assignment, I needed to think of a creative way to introduce the assignment. I decided that I would read the book “The Kids Family Tree” by Caroline Leavitt and then review the children’s understanding of a family tree.

The lesson I chose is called “My Family Tree.” This lesson is intended for the fifth grade level and the content area of my multimedia lesson plan is language arts which also integrates fine arts and technology. This project takes advantage of some of the many multimedia tools that are available for students to use in planning and developing their project. Teaching children about their family tree is a rewarding and fulfilling experience. A family tree project can help motivate students to learn more about the members of their family, as well as encourage communication, information gathering, research, computer skills.

Using technology in the classroom is an expectation that I have for my future students. I believe that Power Point is the easiest to use of the many multimedia tools offered. And I also believe that the students will be able to utilize it easily to create their family tree. I believe that students can acquire computer skills by using Microsoft Power point to create their family tree multimedia presentation. This exercise is great for young children to create a simple family tree of their immediate family. Power point can be used in a fun way to integrate technology into the classroom.

The NETS*T standard that supports my lesson plan is standard 1B- Demonstrates continual growth in technology knowledge and skills to stay abreast of current and emerging technologies and standard 2A - Design developmentally appropriate learning opportunities that apply technology-enhanced instructional strategies to support the diverse needs of learners. The NETS*T standard 1B and 2A relates to my lesson plan because students will observe a story about the family tree, become knowledgeable of the concept of the family tree after viewing a sample family tree the teacher has created using Microsoft power point, and being able to create and a multimedia presentation using power point.

The students will then share a project with the class about their family. The final presentation will include a family tree and brief information about each member of the immediate family that was created by using the multimedia Microsoft Power point created by the student. Although thinking of an interesting, fun and effective assignment was a bit frustrating, I learned that there are many technology tools that can be used to create the family tree assignment.







References:
International Society for Technology Education (1997-2009). National Educational Technology Standards. Retrieved September 18, 2009, Website:
http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=NETS

No comments:

Post a Comment