Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Learning Experience with the Assure Model

Using the Assure model to create a lesson plan was a challenge for me. At first I was confused on how to use the Assure model to create my lesson plan, so I reviewed the Assure model online to get a better understanding of how to apply it to my assignment. Through the Assure model, I learned that the step by step process is user friendly. Once I was familiar with the Assure model, I was able to follow the steps and create my lesson plan more effectively. I had a difficult time thinking of a lesson that would require a digital spreadsheet. The ASSURE model is designed to focus the instructors efforts on the use of media and technology within the classroom environment (virtual or real)—it is not meant to be an alternative method of course design, development, and deployment (Office of Information Technology, 2003). I believe it is important to integrate technology into the classroom because it helps develop the students learning processes and the outcomes. Technology assists the process of gaining knowledge and responding to that knowledge, students discover that technology is a very effective tool and enhances their learning.

The lesson I chose is intended for fifth grade students and is on the subject of comparing the amount of children’s literature books a student is able to read during the Read-a-Thon period versus reading-for-fun/leisure time. I decided to choose this idea because at the time we were given this assignment, my daughter was completing her Read-a-Thon for school. Also,I wanted to choose a lesson that would be suitable for students in the fifth grade level and I wanted to be sure that this was an assignment that they could accomplish. I thought that it would be a great idea to compare and contrast the amount of children’s literature a student read during his or her free time and that of the time allotted to complete the Read-a-Thon. The content area of my lesson is language arts and it integrates math and technology. The NETS*T standards that supports my lesson is standard 2A. NETS*T standard 2A supports my lesson because the students will document the data they collected on the different types of children’s literature books they have read and input it into Microsoft excel where they will then create a pie chart or graph. When students use Microsoft excel it can increase the understanding of the information found on the pie chart or graph, it provides a visual representation of data that makes it easier for the students to study.

When creating lesson plans, I learned that my assignment expectations must be age appropriate. It was important that the lesson aligned with the appropriate content standards. I needed to be sure that I used skill building ideas and had activities that were in all of the learning areas of the content standards. The assignment I chose should enhance the students’ development in all areas. But most importantly, I wanted to be sure that the lesson I chose was not just educational but enjoyable for the students as well. A setback I learned when creating lesson plans is that it was time consuming. I needed to do several researches and planning for ideas. It was also difficult for me to find an idea for this lesson. Thankfully, we had a discussion on our ideas in the classroom and my colleagues were able to share some helpful ideas with me. I decided to continue with my idea of comparing the amount of books a student reads during a certain period of time. I believe that reading is vital and a good way to put children on the road to success in their academic and personal lives. Creating graphs using Microsoft excel was the least exciting of this lesson.

Though at first this assignment was confusing, I learned a lot of new and interesting things. Through this assignment, I learned that I could create an effective lesson plan using the Assure model. I learned how to integrate technology into the teaching and learning environment.






References
Office of Information Technology. (2003, July 27). Assure Learning through the use of the Assure model. Retrieved September 18, 2009, from Valencia Community College site Web site:
http://www.valenciacc.edu/oit/articles/articles_detail.cfm?ID=45


International Society for Technology Education (1997-2009). National Educational Technology Standards. Retrieved September 18, 2009, Website:
http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=NETS

No comments:

Post a Comment